Monday, March 9, 2015

The Lord's Hand


This first week in Renton without Hermana Peackock and Hermana Webb has been different but good. I don't know the area very well and neither does Hermana Sasagi so we are learning together. Travis Merrill has also come out with us once so far to help show us where some Hispanics live.
Also there is now a new Relief Society president and she's really excited to help us with missionary work and to also have us help her find some less-active members. I have a feeling that a lot of good things are going to happen in Renton this transfer!
So my new companion, Hermana Sasagi, is Samoan and is from America Samoa. She lived in America Samoa for ten years and has also lived in California. In the Samoan culture the oldest granddaughter is the Princess of the family and I don't know all the details but it's a big deal. At big events and family gatherings the princess dresses up and dances. It's a whole cultural tradition or something.
Also, Hermana Ah-Hong, who already finished her mission was also a princess and before she came out on her mission her grandfather told her that he we give her anything and she asked him to allow missionaries into their village. He agreed so now people in her village can learn from the missionaries. How cool is that! Samoan Princess Power!
Hermana Sasagi has been out for 8 months so she's only a transfer ahead of me. Even though she's senior companion I'm driving because she actually doesn't have her license. She didn't want to get it because she didn't want to risk getting in a wreck on the mission and having to pay for it.
Hermana Sasagi is a good missionary and she's not afraid to talk to people. Spanish is a little more difficult for her but my Spanish isn't perfect either. I think as long as we both work hard together everything will be fine!
It's only been a week but we have already seen the Lord's hand in our lives helping us. We've even found a few new investigators!
Thank the young women in the ward for the pillow case they sent me! It's super cute!
Also I looked up the scriptures that some of the members wrote on it and it was so funny because the one Bro. Enright wrote down actually helped me the day I read it.
It was Heleman 12:1-3

"And thus we can behold how false, and also the unsteadiness of the hearts of the children of men; yea, we can see that the Lord in his great infinite goodness doth bless and prosper those who put their trust in him.
Yea, and we may see at the very time when he doth prosper his people, yea, in the increase of their fields, their flocks and their herds, and in gold, and in silver, and in all manner of precious things of every kind and art; sparing their lives, and delivering them out of the hands of their enemies; softening the hearts of their enemies that they should not declare wars against them; yea, and in fine, doing all things for the welfare and happiness of his people; yea, then is the time that they do harden their hearts, and do forget the Lord their God, and do trample under their feet the Holy One—yea, and this because of their ease, and their exceedingly great prosperity.
And thus we see that except the Lord doth chasten his people with many afflictions, yea, except he doth visit them with death and with terror, and with famine and with all manner of pestilence, they will not remember him."
It was during a lesson with our investigator Miriam and she said that she has a hard time believing that there is a God sometimes and that if there is a God why would He allow bad things to happen.
As soon as she said that Heleman 12:1-3 came to my mind! I was like this is so perfect! I shared the scripture and Hermana Sasagi also shared one and we had a good discussion and Miriam's question was answered!  It was awesome!
This transfer I really want to focus on realizing God's hand in my life every day! I invite all of you to do the same and to write down your experiences!
This past week I also read John chapter 21. I love that chapter! It's so good! Here is verse 17:
"He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep."
If we love Jesus Christ we will do the same and feed His sheep. We will open our mouths and share the message of His teachings that we have grown to know are true. People cannot accept something they do not know about so it is our job, as disciples of Christ, to open our mouths and share our testimonies. Being an example is awesome but we also need to do more to show people who we are. We need to share our testimonies and invite others to learn.
I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the only true church on the earth that has the FULLNESS of the gospel. I know that God gives us challenges to grow and make us stronger. I know that the things we learn within in the church have eternal value. I know that at the temple we can make promises with God and come to learn more about Him and His plan for us.
Keep your hearts centered on Christ and the temples and you find an unexplainable joy and happiness in your life!
Love, Hermana Soliz
Me and Hermana Sasagi

No comments:

Post a Comment