Thursday, November 6, 2014

Enumclaw is such a special place-Love it!

OK! So let me start off by telling you a story! So the Garcias are this really great and strong family we have in the group! They are amazing! Their son Javier has cancer so they are definitely going through their own trials but they still manage to be strong. I think something that really helps the whole family to be strong is Javier's testimony. He has so much faith and you can just tell that he tries his best to be a disciple of Christ. He also reminds me so much of what I think  Christopher would be like if he didn't have his handicaps. 
Anyways there was a Spanish Conference last week and for part of it members were able to go do temple work. Brother Garcia and Javier both went to the temple to do baptisms for the dead. Brother Garcia baptized three women and then it was Javier's turn. Javier was really sick  though because of the cancer and the chemo treatments. He looked yellow and like he was about to pass out. 
As he got in the water people were asking who he was and saying that he looked so sick that maybe he shouldn't do the baptism. His dad, Brother Garcia, looked at them and told them that Javier was his son and that he was sick because he had cancer. He also said that Javier had the faith to do it so he was going to let him. Javier was really weak but he was able to baptize an elderly woman who had brought a name of one of her ancestors. 
When Brother Garcia told me this experience he was in tears and so was I. Brother Garcia has been a part of the Spanish group for nine years and he says that sometimes when our investigators don't want to come to church he feels like not trying to help them and quitting. He sometimes thinks it's ridiculous that his son who has cancer has the determination to baptize and to go to church and do all these things for the Lord but that others can't go to church on Sundays. 
Javier tells his dad that he can't quit though and that he has to keep trying.
I just wish you could meet this family! They are going through such a hard time but it is making them stronger and bringing them closer to God. It really is true that all things are for our good. 
I really hope that when I'm faced with my own trials and heartaches that I'll remember that. 
This past week we also had the Trunk-Or-Treat at the church and we had a good turn out with investigators, in actives, and members that showed up. It was a combined activity for all three wards plus our group so there was a lot of people there. 
The next day Hermana Mitchell was really sick so we stayed in. We had both not been feeling well for a couple days but Hermana Mitchell felt too sick to go out. I feel like I might be getting a little sick so hopefully I can keep it under control and get better. Hermana Mitchell and I both still need to get our flu shots. 
Some of the members found out that Hermana Mitchell was sick so the Ramos's brought us dinner. It was super nice of them! Also Brother Ramos and Brother Blad came over and gave her a blessing. 
While Hermana Mitchell was trying to sleep her illness off I studied, cleaned, updated the Area Book and looked for any potential investigators we could try teaching. So, eventhough I was stuck in the apartment all day I was able to keep busy so I didn't go stir-crazy.
Oh and just so you know the Juan, Rosa, and Bryan's baptism set for the 15th is still on! :) 
Also Adan is so unbelievably close to getting baptized! He is going to be such a strong member when he makes the decision for himself! 
Also Leo is getting closer and closer to proposing to Betty! I think they're planning on getting married the day after Thanksgiving so we'll have to see what happens there. I really need to send you pictures of all of these people! 
Sorry I haven't sent more pictures. I either forget or I'm not sure if it's an appropriate time to take a picture or not...So ya, I'll send you some in my next e-mail.
Which reminds me....our next P-day is Nov. 12th. I think it was changed to that day because we have Elder Hamula speaking to half of us on Nov. 7th and the other half of us on Mon. the 10th which would've been a P-day. Isn't that so awesome though?!! Elder Hamula is coming to our mission to speak to us! I'm going to be able to shake his hand! :) 
Oh and I received the letter the Ward sent me. It was really sweet and they even got President Brown to write a little note in it. Let the ward know I really appreciated it and that I love them! 

Until next time! :)

Hermana Soliz

No comments:

Post a Comment