Monday, June 16, 2014

Called to Serve

So first things first, let's talk about when President Monson announced the missionary age change for both men and women at General Conference on October 6, 2012. Remember that?? Yeah me too! Young men would be able to serve at the age of 18 instead of waiting until they were 19 and young women, like myself, could serve missions at 19 years of age instead of waiting until they were 21.
I remember sitting in my dorm and my mouth just dropping when I heard the news! This was so exciting and what made it even better was that in just four more days, on October 10th, I would turn 19!!! I had always thought of serving a mission in the future if I felt that it was right but now the possibility of serving was so much more realistic because I wouldn't have to wait.

My mind was racing with thoughts like...
"Should I serve a mission?"
"I'm turning 19, should I serve now?"
& "Okay, I need to focus on the rest of conference..."

So from this point on the idea of serving a full-time mission was seriously planted into my head.

Fast forward to...

March 16, 2014. The day I had my interview with my Stake President up at school and my papers were sent in to Salt Lake. (Yes, it did take me a long time to finally decide to serve. I don't think I've ever prayed for an answer as much as I did for this one. Also now, looking back, I can see that I did receive answers but most were very subtle. So don't feel bad if you're having a hard time coming to a decision about serving a mission. Be patient and have faith and everything will work out!) My Stake President informed me that I would most likely get my mission call in 4-6 weeks so I had it sent home so I could open it after the semester was over.

March 28, 2014. I'm sitting in Anatomy Lab working and I get a text from my mom. Her text said, "Look what I have!!" along with a picture of her holding my call. I was in complete shock! I was supposed to receive it in 4-6 weeks and it had only been 12 days! Let's just say I had a very hard time focusing on class after that. Now I had to decide if I wanted to open my call over Skpe or wait two weeks until I was home to open it myself.

She was so excited she couldn't even wait to take her rollers out ;)

March 29th, 2014. At first, I was going to wait until I was home because I wanted to be the one to actually break the seal on the envelope and read it. But then I realized that I probably wasn't that patient to wait and whether or not I'm the one opening it, I'm still being sent to where the Lord needs me.



I was called to serve in the Washington Federal Way Mission. I will prepare to share the gospel in the Spanish language and will report to the Mexico MTC August 6, 2014. 














1 comment:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous, little lady!!! :D I am so excited to serve a mission with you! I'll be in the Mexico MTC two weeks after you (August 20th), and we both get to learn Spanish!!!!! Life is good. :) I love your blog btw!

    ReplyDelete